Intermittent fasting for beginnersThe most simple definition of intermittent fasting would be - “You fast for a certain period of time and eat within a certain time frame”
While it may be a newer concept our ancestors too practiced it to survive starvation At first, when I heard about intermittent fasting, I too was a skeptic, but the more I researched about it, the more sense it made.
Not only you can lose a little weight, but you also get additional health benefits.
I know it sounds crazy, but let me explain it to you.
So for once, let’s pretend I am that cool high school teacher, who is hot and crush-worthy. You couldn’t imagine? yeah me neither.
What is intermittent fasting/Intermittent fasting ketosisWhen you eat, you store energy in the liver as glycogen so, when you do not eat for 10-12 hours your glycogen quantity starts decreasing, and your body starts burning fat (this process is called ketosis) to provide energy and hence help you lose weight
But what also happens is that when you burn fat, chemicals called ketones are released which trigger the release of BDNF, an important molecule responsible for learning and memory.
Studies also show that intermittent fasting helps in decreasing blood pressure and hormones related to aging.
Now I am in no way a doctor to go more in detail about it, but what I can give input on is that I have been doing this for a while now, and this potato is turning into a french fry. Aka it has been working for me,Not gonna lie if only I could stop ordering take out every day, it would show better results :(
Intermittent fasting mistakes
- Do not skip on fats, try incorporating healthy fats into your diet
- Be patient and consistent
- Do not overeat during the non- fasting period.
- Do not blindly follow any meal plan or fasting routine, personalize it according to what your body and schedule demands.
- Depending only on intermittent fasting to lose weight
- Change your mentality from weight loss to a healthier lifestyle
- Fasting for too little time (ideal results can be achieved when you fast for 12 to 16 hours)
- Being unrealistic with your expectations,you have to understand that things take time and you need patience.
- You do not eat healthy during the non-fasting period
- You are cheating a little too much,( don’t be like your ex )maintain a balance between your healthy meals and cheat meals
Intermittent fasting plans and scheduleIntermittent fasting can be incorporated into your daily life through multiple schedules and plans.
Researchers from the University of Alabama conducted a study with a small group of prediabetes men. The men were divided into two batches, one with a fasting window of 16 hours and another with a fasting window of 12 hours. The group with 16-hour fasting showed decreased insulin levels and blood pressure.
Therefore the 16:8 method is the most effective, but the other plans work great too.
It’s upon you to decide which one works the best for you
Intermittent fasting benefitsIntermittent fasting has many benefits, which contributes to its popularity. I have mentioned the ten most significant benefits of intermittent fasting.
- Reduction of body fat
- Fights cancer in women
- Reduces joint pain and arthritis
- Improves sleep and mental health
- Reduces blood pressure and cholesterol
- Promotes reproductive health
- Lowers your risk of type 2 diabetes
- Induces cellular repair and removes waste from body
- Boost metabolism for weight loss
- Reduces the risk of neurodegenerative disorders.
My experience with intermittent fastingI was practicing intermittent fasting before even realizing that it was actually a thing that people considered a diet. Basically our family usually has dinner pretty early around 7 -8 and because I would stay up all night studying ahem ahem crying, I would usually wake up late for school and skip breakfast.
But when I went to college this routine of course changed. and there came the freshman 15, So when I learned about intermittent fasting, I came to the conclusion that I was following the trend, before it was even a trend.
Jk, I just decided to implement it again.
Here are some things that people don’t tell you about intermittent fasting.
- It takes time to get used to Initially, you do feel hungry a lot, and crave the most delicious omelets and breakfast sandwiches but do not give in to the cravings, after you do it for a while your body starts adjusting with it and you stop feeling hungry in the morning hours. So basically you just have to adjust your food clocks
- The most difficult part about intermittent fasting is probably skipping your morning tea or coffee, and tbh I still haven’t aced this step sorry :( My advice would be, to reduce your coffee quantity each successive day slowly transitioning into black coffee /tea without sugar or any other zero-calorie drink of your choice. If you are someone who has been trying to reduce caffeine this might be the perfect opportunity to train your body into functioning without caffeine in your system.
- Just because you are intermittent fasting, you cannot eat junk or processed food in non-fasting hours. Intermittent fasting only speeds up the weight loss process in a healthy manner but does not make you bulletproof against weight gain, or the side effects of junk food. So you will still have to eat healthy, and also incorporate exercise into your routine.
- You have to be patient with the results. Intermittent fasting does not magically give you a flat tummy or reduce your blood pressure in one go. You have to give it time. The most immediate effects of intermittent fasting will most probably be weight loss(but not drastic) and the other added benefits will follow when your body gets used to doing it for a couple of months and sometimes even year. I mean as they say, “things that come easy don’t last and things that last don’t come easy”
- Do not be over critical of what you eat, As much as it is important to be careful about what you eat, it is also equally important to not obsess about what you eat. You are allowed to have a cheat meal. It is okay if you give in and drink your favorite latte. It is okay if you were feeling sad, and baked some cookies
Remember that being healthy is important, not the amount of weight you lose or gain. There is more to life diets and meal plans.
After all, imperfections are attractive when the owners are happy with them.